Women are special and so is the body art that they choose to decorate themselves with. Over 65% of the tattoos being done today are for the female and we’re no longer hiding them. Flowers, butterfly tattoos, angel tattoos, angel wings, heart tattoos, and butterfly wings of various sizes are some of the most popular for women, and one of the more popular locations for tattoos is on the lower back, sexy and visible when you choose, or hidden if it is appropriate for the occasion. The preferable designs for the lower back are tribal tattoos. Other places where we like to be inked are the ankles (usually smaller sized tattoos), foot, the navel area, shoulders (front and back), breast, buttocks, and thighs.
Women do more research and place more thought into their tattoos. We know what we want, where we want it, and the color (or black and white) before we go to the tattoo parlor. This tattoo will be with us for a lifetime and it’s an important decision. Picking a special tattoo at the parlor can be a rushed experience and the designs can be limited. With internet sites you can choose the design on your time: shop, buy, download, print. No one is looking over your shoulder, hurrying you.
What prompted this idea to get a tattoo? Usually a woman will make that final decision because of a significant event in her life: marriage, death, divorce, new relationship, new baby, a milestone birthday, a celebration. Based on your reason, you may want to choose a design with a specific meaning. Here are a few ideas.
Butterflies and butterfly wings are two of the most popular tattoos for women. In many cultures these have a spiritual meaning as this symbol stands for the soul and spiritual elevation. The butterfly is feminine, and the design can be small yet still distinct in markings that so that it can easily be placed on the ankle, breast, etc, and be classy.
Next most popular are flowers. Flowers come in many varieties:
- Roses- red for romantic, black for death, yellow for joyfulness, and your own distinctive color that will have a unique meaning just for you
- Hawaiian – while there are several flowers under this category, the Hawaiian flower is generally thought of as a symbol of hospitality and friendship which is why leis are so abundant as welcoming gifts
- Lotus – good fortune, peace
- Hibiscus – the state flower of Hawaii
- Orchid – love, luxury, beauty, strength
- Lily – symbol of purity, in some areas it can symbolize erotic love
Zodiac symbols, another popular female choice, have flowers associated with them:
- Aries – Flower: red poppy, geranium, honeysuckle, hollyhock
- Symbol: Ram
- Taurus – Flower: red rose, daisy, lily, daffodil
- Symbol: Bull
- Gemini – Flower: lilac, azalea, lily-of-the-valley
- Symbol: Twins
- Cancer – Flower: southern magnolia, white poppy, lotus (water lily), iris, carnation (white)
- Symbol: Crab
- Virgo – Flower: astor, chrysanthemum, ivy, fern
- Symbol: Virgin holding sheaves of wheat in her hands
- Leo – Flower: sunflower, dahlia, lily (yellow), poppy (red), marigold, heliotrope
- Symbol: Lion
- Libra – Flowers: roses (white or pink), daisies, violets, asters, orchids
- Symbol: Scales of justice
- Scorpio – Flower: anemone, heather, gardenia
- Symbol: Scorpion
- Sagittarius – Flower: peony, mums, hydrangeas, dahlias
- Symbol: the Hunter (archer) and a mythical half man/half horse
- Capricorn – Flower: carnation (red), camellia, orange blossom, baby’s breath, magnolia
- Symbol: Sea-goat
- Aquarius – Flower: bird of paradise, gladiola, tiger lily, trillium
- Symbol: Man pouring water (the Water Bearer)
- Pisces – Flower: orchid, lilac, wisteria, lotus, poppy (white), pansy
- Symbol: Fish
As you can see there can be hundreds of choices in tattoo designs for women. Doing your research before you go to the tattoo artist is fun and exciting. Find that special tattoo that has a significant meaning for you and enjoy.