You may have heard of a diet for Candida. You may have even heard that it is a great way to get into shape, but do you know what it is and how it works?
The diet for Candida is a three step process that will help heal you in three ways;
- It will help to eliminate the Candida fungus.
- You will be able to identify which foods are stopping your immune system from working properly.
- You will lose weight on it, especially in the first two weeks!
Stage one of the diet for Candida
Step one of the diet for Candida is absolutely crucial to your success and as such is non negotiable. We need to start eliminating foods that
- Feed the fungus and
- Cause the allergy / sensitivity.
This essentially means we are taking away the foods with; Sugar, yeast, gluten, Carbos (simple or otherwise), wheat, grains, mold and dairy in them. Fermented foods are also not advised – this includes vinegars and soy sauce.
So what are expected to eat during stage one of the diet for Candida?
- All your leafy green veges are fine – think kale, lettuce, cabbage, silverbeet, broccoli, cauliflower, brusselsprouts etc
- Colored peppers are great for nutrition and color !.
- Squash, cucumbers and zucchini
- Lean meat, chicken and fish.
- EFA's are essential so add some omega oils to the mix
- Some say that whole grains, small amounts of cottage cheese and cultured yogurt are OK
(The best advice here is to go with what feels right for you. If you want to take your flax oil with a tablespoon of yogurt or have a rice cracker for morning tea then you go for it !)
Stage one of any diet for Candida needs to be upheld for 2-4 weeks depending on how bad your infection is.
Stage two of the Diet for Candida
This is where we begin to reintroduce foods. It is really important to do this very slowly, one serving per day. The trick to this stage is to note how you react to the food when it is reintroduced. If when you eat a food you get a reaction then you need to stop eating that food again for at least two weeks.
Stage three of the Diet for Candida
Stage three is where most of your normal foods have been reintroduced without any reaction – Well done! The beauty of stage three is that you can go out for dinner, have a pizza or two or even resume your fish n chip night without worrying about the consequences!
How long should we be on the diet for Candida?
This could be anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 years depending on how severe your infection is. Once you have settled into your diet for Candida most people find that they continue to apply many parts of it to their regular diet.
Is the diet for Candida safe?
Absolutely! Which do you think is healthy and who do you think ends up hungrier?
- The person sitting down to a lunch of a measly jelly sandwich and fruit juice or
- The person having a large helping of stir fried vegetables?
Imagine being able to have two large bowls of stir fried vegetables – complete with herbs that make it taste really good and still lose weight faster than the person with a sandwich? You are not starving yourself at all, you are just changing the way you eat. Most people notice a difference in their health and weight when on the diet for Candida simply because they are not eating the same quantities of 'bad' food that they were.
Will the diet for Candida cure my infection?
There is no doubt that the diet for Candida will make you feel loads better. It does help to eradicate the fungus and help you to avoid those foods that were keeping you unwell. But to regain full health and kill the Candida completely we do need to follow a regime of supplements that include anti-fungals, nutrients to aid healing and kidney and liver cleanses to help flush out the toxins left behind by the Candida.