Bees are essential manufacturers of natural honey. Honey has a number of nutritional, health and economical value to humans. With these small creatures having a lot of importance to humans, keep reading for some amazing bee facts.
1. Bees have been in existent since time immemorial. This can be proved by the history of the ancient civilization among others which refer to honey.
2. The honey bees are eco-friendly. They are also referred to as Apis mellifera scientifically.
3. They are the only insects with the ability of producing food eaten by the man.
4. The honey is the only kind of food that contains all the necessary ingredients for sustaining a life. Consumption of honey will give your body water, minerals and the enzymes. You will also get adequate supplies of ‘pinocembrin’ which is a kind of antioxidant attributed with improved brain functioning.
5. Bees have a pair of eyes and 6 legs just like other kinds of insects. The eyes are located on opposite sides of the head and are composed of millions of tiny lenses. Bees do also have three simple eyes located at the top of their head. They also have two pairs of wings, stomach and nectar pouch.
6. Bees have 170 different kinds of smell receptors. This is a great number compared to fruit flies with 62 and mosquitoes. Remarkable olfactory abilities given by the special additional receptors include social communication, fast identification of signals and accurate tracing of food locations. The odor receptors are well developed such that it would detect different kinds of flowers with pollen grains from far distance.
7. The insects have fast flapping wings. They flap up to the rate of 200 beats per second hence leading to their association with the buzzing sound. They can also travel up to a maximum of 6 miles continuously at the rate of 15 miles per hour.
8. An average working bee processes about 1/12 of teaspoonful of honey in its lifespan.
9. For each trip of honey collection, a bee will visit about 50 to 100 different flowers.
10. Brains of bees are oval shaped and about the size of a sesame seed. However, it has ability to keep track of the distance covered, direction and the foraging efficiency.
11. Another interesting discovery of bee facts is their population. A hive can range from 20,000 to 60,000 honeybees and a single queen. The workers are all females with a lifespan of utmost 6 weeks.